This post has been created to understand the verses of Surah Al-Baqarah that talk about hypocrites and evils that result from them. To get enlightened in a better way, it is important that readers go through this post first and form a clear picture of this group before proceeding with the verses.
Hypocrisy is of two types, namely:
- Hypocrisy in belief
- Hypocrisy in deeds and actions
Hypocrisy in belief:
There are six aspects of hypocrisy in belief:
- To belie the Messenger (Mohammad s.a.w).
- To belie some of all that was brought by the Messenger (Mohammad s.a.w). [eg; the Quran, Sunnah, legal laws and principles of Islam, etc]
- To hate the Messenger (Mohammad s.a.w).
- To hate some of all that was brought by the Messenger (Mohammad s.a.w). [eg; Islamic Monotheism, etc]
- To feel happy at the disgrace or becoming low of the religion of Allah’s Messenger (Mohammad s.a.w).
- To dislike that the religion of Allah’s Messenger (Islamic Monotheism) becomes victorious.
A person having these six traits (of hypocrisy) will be in the lowest depths (grade) of the Fire (Hell).
“Verily, the hyprocrites will be in the lowest depth of the Fire; no helper will you find for them.” [V. 4:145]
Hypocrisy in deeds and actions:
There are five aspects of hypocrisy in deeds and actions, and their proof is from the statement of Allah’s Messenger (pbuh):-
The signs of a hypocrite are these:
- Whenever he speaks, he tells a lie.
- Whenever he promises, he always breaks it (his promise).
- If you trust him, he proves to be dishonest (if you keep something as trust with him, he will not return it).
- And in another narration of the Prophet (pbuh):- whenever he quarrels, he behaves in a very imprudent, evil and an insulting manner.
- Whenever he makes a covenant, he proves himself treacherous.
- Full blown hypocrites: these exhibit hypocrisy by both belief and actions
- Partial hypocrites: these only show hypocrisy through deeds and actions